What are some ways to turn up the heat for your writing when you aren’t feeling sexy? Sometimes, despite loving your characters, real life has intruded to the point where you can’t enjoy writing. Those times we sit at the computer and even if we reread the story, we can’t feel the sensuality of the moment where we left off.
Well, then let’s get up off that chair and do something to inspire ourselves. Here are some tips that I may have tested (no admission of guilt, lol) and that I hope will inspire you. Share your own tips in the comments. I’d love to hear them.
- Get in the mood with music: Light some candles, or burn a seductive incense, and then turn on the music. When writing a more sexually erotic scene try music by Nickelback or Buckcherry. A passionate, romantic scene can be written with music by Enrique Iglesias, Bon Jovi or Elvis, in the background. A little Carlos Santana can work for either type of scene.
- Phone sex: Yes, with your significant other, this is a tried and true method for getting in the mood. If you’re staring at a blank page and your husband is in the next room watching t.v., call the house phone on your cell phone and let the fun begin. Another version of this is Sexting, which reduces the embarrassment factor.
- Shower: Two reasons. First, it’s refreshing to wash off the dust of the day, and secondly there is nothing more sensual that water. It glides over your skin, touching all those moist and needy places you’d like a lover to touch.
- Snack: I’m talking close your eyes and really savor the soft texture and flavor of chocolate pudding or yogurt. Notice the curve of the spoon as you lick it. Imagine someone sexy is feeding you this food, or perhaps they are sitting across from you, just watching the way you use your tongue. Do potato chips leave salt on your lips that you must lick off. Take a favorite snack and feel what it is to really take pleasure in it.
- Lastly, Have Sex: With your lover or just a favorite toy, get that release that helps to break the tension in your life, if only for a short while. You’d be surprised by what a good orgasm can do. *wink*
Yes, readers, these are the mysterious things us writers do to get inspired. Well, at least this writer, anyway. Share your thoughts and tips in the comments. I’d love to hear them.
Author of Love’s Demon Ways, fantasy erotic romance
Available at Siren Bookstrand