Today I have the awesome Cassandra Carr guesting for me while I’m stuck in DEADLINE LAND!
Casssandra writes erotic romance, but what intrigued me the most is she wrote a book for EC for Men and she’s sharing with us about writing erotica for men. Take it away, Cassandra!
Five differences between writing for men and for women
By Cassandra Carr
Thanks for having me here today! I’m excited to tell you guys about Birthday Boy, an EC for Men Quickie that released yesterday. The most common question I get from readers and other authors alike is:
What’s it like to write stories for a line aimed at men?
My answer: a huge pile of…FUN!
Yes, writing for men is fun. Fun fun fun. Plus, the EC for Men line has been surprisingly popular amongst women too.
The next question they ask me is:
So what’s different? Are you writing, like, porn? (This comes from men more than women.)
No. I’m not writing porn. However, having said that, the EC for Men line does not require either a happy-ever-after OR a happy-for-now. So they do lean more toward erotica. But for instance, in Birthday Boy, my “birthday boy” Johnny adores his girlfriend, who gives him quite a sexy present. So there’s some romance that I managed to sneak in there. *evil cackle*
But there are some differences. Without further ado, here are five of them:
1. The entire story is told from the male point of view. Yes, the entire thing.
2. The language, both in conversation and inside the man’s head, tends to be a little courser. More straightforward.
3. The stories revolve around male fantasies. Not that erotica or erotic romance written for women don’t revolve around fantasies, but these stories are specifically designed to hit on male fantasies like boss/secretary, older man/younger woman, sex with no strings, etc.
4. The sex reads differently, because men process things differently than women do. Men are visual creatures, whereas women tend to focus more on emotions.
5. There’s no immediate expectation of love. Sex can be had (and is had) for sex’s sake.
I love writing the EC for Men stories. They’re like a little exercise for my writing mind!
EC for Men Quickie
Johnny Quinn’s not thrilled about creeping ever closer to forty, and the loud, thumping bass in the dance club his girlfriend Steffi has dragged him to on his birthday isn’t helping. Then she makes a bold suggestion. She wants to have sex in the middle of the club. After picking his jaw up from the floor, Johnny agrees. But that’s not all–Steffi’s got more sexy surprises in store. Johnny’s not sure any birthday could top this year’s, and he’s left wondering what Steffi will do to make him an even happier birthday boy next year.