So last fall on my personal blog I talked about those steamy novels of the 70s and 80s that became made-for-TV movies and miniseries. You want to talk about the golden age of sexy dramas with actresses that chew the scenery and spit it out – back when we only had three channels for viewing, such movies were events. They pre-empted regular programming and ads for the movies ran for weeks. Books by Judith Krantz, Danielle Steel, Jackie Collins – all the giants of literature. 🙂
These days, we look to Lifetime and Oxygen and Oprah for that kind of fix, but it’s just not the same. For one, the once in a lifetime miniseries tended to attract more B-list talent and occasionally a top TV star. Lifetime movies are not actually based on bestselling novels, and when you do get a wild pop culture phenom like Fifty Shades it goes to the big screen. Anyway, I remember these things because I’ve begun my midlife crisis and while I medicate with wine, I look back fondly.
Where was I? Yes, last fall. I started a TBR list which I called “The Sideboob Hour,” named after a gag on Family Guy where Peter Griffin highlighted all the partial nudity of 70s-80s miniseries. You saw a lot of sideboob in those movies, and it’s in the books, too. The following list I devised from memory of those miniseries, and here is my progress:
- Deceptions by Judith Michael – FINISHED 9/26/13, read my thoughts.
- A Tangled Web by Judith Michael – FINISHED 9/30/13, read my thoughts.
- Lace by Shirley Conran – FINISHED 11/25/13, read my thoughts.
- Lace II by Shirley Conran – IN PROGRESS
- The Immortals by Michael Korda
- Hollywood Wives by Jackie Collins
- Scruples by Judith Krantz
- The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
- The Lonely Lady by Harold Robbins
- The Flame and the Flower by Kathleen Woodiwiss
- One early Danielle Steel I haven’t read (leaning toward Family Album)
As you can see, I have a ways to go. With a long trip coming up, I intend to knock off a few.
Have you read any of the above books? Which Danielle Steel should I read? I’d love to hear from you!